Turning Over a New (Website) Leaf
Posted on October 10, 2022
Well… that wasn’t so bad.
All in all, it only took me about a week of serious work to migrate the site to WordPress. That followed two weeks of procrastination, and in turn was followed by a week of transferring files over, since my site structure has totally changed. As such, I also had to set up redirects for my old URLs, on the off chance someone has a link saved somewhere.
It’s still a work in progress, but I think I’m ready to call it. There will still be the occasional dead link, the missing PDF here and there, and the sporadic image that didn’t make it over. But you can’t do it all in one shot, so I’ll deal with them as I find them. In the meantime, I’ll get back to posting.
I’m still fixing up my PDFs — last time I mentioned that (somehow) many of my PDFs are A4 sized, while others are US Letter. I know the metric sizes are probably best, but as an American, I have a civic responsibility to find the wrong way of doing things. I think Letter will print on A4 paper better than the other way around.
I’m still undecided about hosting my blog on something like SubStack. It’s only been a week, but I’m already noticing how Google is considerably less fussy with me now that I’m using a WordPress site. Looking back on how I used to do things, I have many “what the hell was I thinking” moments… but that’s how you learn I guess.